Our Adoption Rules and Policies - BPRW 2018
Please read our adoption requirements and polices, before asking for our 8 Page Application Form to adopt a bird.
BPRW Parrot Adoption Rules and Requirements:
1. You must be a minimum age of 25 years, and a maximum of 70 years of age to qualify to adopt any parrot from us and be the head of your household.
2. We will not place any bird with anyone obtaining a parrot to use for breeding purposes, or for any other monetary gain.
3. We will not allow any 2nd party adoptions. (No gifting of adopted parrots)
4. Please be aware that there are currently No fees for adopting a parrot from us and some will include their own cage.
5. You must live within a 80-mile radius of the Safehouse where the bird is located.
6. Home checks are required before an adoption can take place; we are able to deliver parrots with large cages to most areas within 80 miles, for the cost of petrol.
7. Home ownership is preferred but NOT mandatory, but a minimum of 1 year at current residence is required.
8. You must provide us with a photo copy of your driving licence or other photo ID for identification purposes, and two resent utility bills, with the same address that's on your driving licence.
9. Meet any available parrot at least once, twice is preferred at the Safehouse location.
10. Before the bird is released, you will read and then sign a 2 page contract.
Except All types of African Grey Parrots and other Endangered Species - See DEFRA CITIES - Membership Fees Apply.
11. You will need to email us your postal address and send a £1.00 donation, using the donate button, this is to cover the printing and postal costs to send out the 8 page Adoption Application Form.
Forms will not be posted, until we have receive your £1.00 donation.
* If you own a dog, that is currently parrot friendly; we must meet your dog prior to any placement.
* If you currently own dogs that haven’t been around parrots. It’s very unlikely we will place one of our parrots with you.
* If you think you meet all the above qualifications then you can ask us for an Adoption Application Form.
Once your application is received, we will be in contact with you within 3 to 6 days during normal business hours.
BPRW Parrot Adoption Policies – August 2018
All Adopters must:
Complete our Adoption Application Form (8 Pages) and agree to 25 terms and conditions, then sign the Adoption Contract. THIS IS A LEGAL AND BINDING CONTRACT.
Home Check completed and cage approved.
Adopters must agree to the following:
Not to breed the bird.
Not to have the birds wings clipped- We believe this is cruel, and dangerous for the bird.
Not to take the bird outdoors under any circumstances (only for transporting purposes in a secure cage).
To keep the bird in a 100% smoke / Teflon free environment.
To provide: a veterinary examination every 1 to 2 years, by an approved avian veterinarian. (See avian vet page)
To provide: A Parrot Welfare Report, within the first 3 Months of the bird being placed, and then every 12 Months.
To BPRW and the Parrots previous owner, if it's been requested, with updates every 12 Months on the bird’s progress, and overall wellbeing, condition, health, behaviour and feeding habits, etc.
A form will be provided for this: The Parrot Welfare Report, including photos or videos showing the bird out of the cage and getting interaction from the adopted owner.
You must immediately take your adopted bird to a qualified veterinarian at the first sign of illness.
To feed a well-rounded and varied diet of the following - Good quality organic pellets (Harrison's - See links page) and a premium quality low sunflower parrot seed & fruit mix, Johnson & Jeff or Tidy Mix.
And provide the bird with fresh fruit and vegetables, given every 1 or 2 days. (Organicly grown or own grown is highly recommend)
Egg food - (only as required - read page Parrot Nutrition) Cuttle fish-bone - grounded into powder, using a cheese grater to provide the birds calcium in a separate dish, and fresh water changed on a daily bases.
You must open the birds cage door for a minimum of 6 hrs or more each day, (more with some birds, if they have been given more freedom with their previous owner, this will need to continue in the new adoption home)
You must spend a minimum of 9 hrs per day or more with the bird in the same room. 5 - 6 out of 7 days a week. If these conditions cannot be met, then please do not apply.
For Companion Birds Only: BPRW uncompromisingly requires the bird be placed in a home environment that is in his/her best interests physically, mentally, emotionally, and psychologically.
You will need to make adequate arrangements for your adopted bird in the event of any holidays or prolonged absences from home.
You must be aware that all adopted birds remain under BPRWs legal ownership, and that if your adopted bird needs another home, you are to return the bird to BPRW for placement?
BPRW is cautious about adopting birds into homes with very small children. No bird will be adopted into homes with bird-aggressive dogs, cats or other animals that could present a danger to birds.
No more than two parrot adoptions per home are permitted.
BPRW reserves the right to decline adoptions based on an excessive number of birds (or other pets) already in the home.
BPRW reserves the right to decline to place a bird in any home that it does not feel would be a good match.
Adopted birds may not be sold, given away, bred or used for any type of monetary purpose.
Our MINIMUM cage recommended requirements:
Parakeets, Budgies, Cockatiels, Parrotlets, Lovebirds, Quakers, Ringnecks, Conures, Pionus, Lories, Meyers, Senegals: 30”w X 24”d
African Greys, Small Cockatoos, Eclectus, Amazons, Small Macaws: 36”w x 24”d
Larger Cockatoos and Macaws: 48”w x 36”d
We recommend 64”w x 32”d or 80”w x 40”d cages for the larger birds (Moluccans and Green wing Macaws).
Make sure bar spacing is appropriate for your bird.
If you feel that a parrot would make a good gift for a friend, child, or significant other, please read the book The Lonely Parrot by Lisa Kelley.
Please understand that we do not allow adoptions to take place as gifts. We do require that the person who will be caring for the bird fill out the application form and go through the process.
We also require that all family members in the home be aware of the potential adoption and that they all be available for the in home consult and pre-adoption visit.
Please be advised that we do NOT adopt to breeders nor allow breeders to foster.
See our current adoptable birds here...